Friday, September 12, 2008

Sock it to meme

I saw this sock meme on Anne's blog and thought I'd go for it, since I don't have significant knitting progress to share with you today.

When did you first learn to knit socks? Summer 2003, about a year after I learned to knit
What's the first sock you ever knit? Aside from the single sock we made in our beginner's class that fits no one, it's this jacquard pair knit from sportweight Regia yarn on size US 3 needles. Yarn, needles, and pattern were purchased at Earth Guild in Asheville, NC, where I was vacationing. The super helpful woman there guided me to this YarnSmith pattern (click on the one called "Classic Crew Socks," which served me well through many pairs of socks. I've photocopied it dozens of times. Sometimes friends beg me for a copy. I let them have it after a thorough lecture about copyright and a promise sworn in EZ's name to send Earth Guild $4.50. I wonder if they know that's why they get random payments in the mail from Pennsylvania? (Recently I noticed that this pattern is available as a Ravelry download, if you're interested...)

Favorite Sock Pattern? Well... I certainly have used the Classic Crew Socks pattern a bunch of times (and I still use it to check my CO number if I'm at all in doubt), but I've moved beyond it now. I'm currently enchanted by Cat Bordhi's New Pathways for Sock Knitters, Book One.

Favorite needle method? 2 circs

Favorite sock needles? Knit Picks 2 mm (US0) - the metal ones. I adore the flexible cable and the sharp, sharp tips. I own a lot of these now...

Who do you knit socks for? Mostly Sharon, who has always had crazy colorful socks as part of her personal aesthetic. But also for me, my kids, my mom, new babies, special children in my life for birthdays, a couple of (very good) friends, and even (once) a co-worker.

How many pairs have you knitted to date? 49, and there's another pair on the needles

What is on your sock knitting to-do list? Check my Ravelry queue! More sockiectures from Cat Bordhi, some double-stranded stuff, and some "crazy socks" that use up leftover sock yarn.

What kind of socks to you like to knit-Striped? sure, with self-striping yarn
Colorwork? not so much
Plain Stockinette? nah... you need at least a little bit of pattern to keep the interest up
Cabled? sure!
Lace? no way
Anklets? not true anklets because I've learned they sag... but shorty socks are okay
Knee Socks? would like to make some but haven't yet
Solid colors? if they have an interesting design
Bright and crazy? absolutely
Faux Fair Isle (the yarn doing all of the work)? yes, on occasion, for the simple office sock

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you are up to 49 pairs of socks. That is awesome.

    I actually learned something a few things I didn't know by reading this.

    Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete