This yarn has been in my stash for a couple of years now - it was a Christmas gift from a coworker back in 2006. It is very soft, 100% acrylic. I have 2 balls (50 g each).
I decided that this had been marinating long enough and wanted to be a scarf for my mother (acrylic = good scarf for Texas). I identified three potential patterns in Ravelry:
[Sorry, Kim, these are Ravelry links. Have you signed up for an account yet?]
Initially I wanted to make the drop stitch scarf, but upon reading the pattern closely, I realized it needed to be blocked open to see the pattern well. Acylic doesn't block, so I didn't even try that.
Then I went to the My So Called Scarf pattern. I began with a US 7 needle - a little tight. I started again on a US 9 - still a bit tight (but the herringbone pattern looked good). I cast on again with a US 10.5 and was happier. I knit along for a while and then made a mistake. I could not figure out how to fix it! I decided this was not the easy office knitting project I wanted. Besides, while the pattern looked really good on the front, it was decidedly not pretty on the back, and that is not a good quality in a garment like a scarf.
I ripped the whole thing out again and started the One Row Handspun Scarf, keeping with the US 10.5 needle. Nice. But a bit wide, particularly since I only have 2 balls of this yarn. I ripped it back one last time and cast on 4 fewer stitches, and now I'm good.
So, final mods from the Harlot's pattern: US 10.5 needle and CO 22.