Monday, April 6, 2009

Here comes Peter Cottontail...


Bunny
Originally uploaded by JLW in PA
I saw this free pattern in Ravelry (here's a non-Ravelry link) on Saturday and got inspired to make it. I showed Boy 2 (my 4-year-old) the pattern and he wanted to knit it right away! I mused aloud that I didn't have any white yarn, and he promptly trotted off to my sock yarn cabinet and retrieved a hank of Knit Picks Bare. In all fairness, it looks pretty white. I wanted worsted weight, but hey, a bunny mama's gotta do what a bunny mama's gotta do. He helped me pick the grey body and pink ears, and waited patiently while I knit the bunny.

I'm not sure mine looks that bunny-ish. First, he's a bit tall - I misread the pattern and knit the body 24 rounds high, not 16. He's the alpha bunny! And his nose reminds me more of an owl beak. I was able to sew the ears on pretty well, but the tail is... saggy. There are no two ways about it. This bunny has a floppy, saggy tail, and it's oversized for his body (it was the smallest size my pom pom maker could handle). And he doesn't sit up very well. He can hold his own in the grass, sure... but on a table, he leans backward on his tail.

I guess I'm just not a big toy knitter! Still, if you can get these to look really cute, they would be quick additions to someone's Easter basket. And I agree with the designer - they probably look better in packs.

2 comments:

  1. I think "bunny mama" might become the latest tabloid phrase craze. So cute! And how neat that the boy was so intrigued and involved!

    ReplyDelete