Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Preschooler's Shooting Stockings

Recently my younger son (aka Boy 2) asked for a new pair of "yarn socks." We immediately searched my stash of leftover sock yarns in amounts large enough for a pair of baby or child socks, and he picked this sunny yellow Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport. I had nearly an entire 50 g ball left from a pair of socks I made back in 2006. Nancy Bush's pattern for Gentleman's Shooting Stockings (in Knitting Vintage Socks) has a long enough cuff that it calls for calf shaping and 150 g of yarn, so I had 3 50 g balls of this. In the end, though, I barely touched the last ball.
I tried to talk to Boy 2 about stitch patterns and what he wanted his socks to look like, but he didn't get it. He threw his arms up in frustration and said "But MOM, I want them to look like SOCKS!" Okay. I took him to the sock drawer and showed him different patterns. He grabbed the Gentleman's Shooting Stockings and wanted his to be just the same.
So now we have the Preschooler's Shooting Stockings, which I think turned out great. Here are the Preschooler and the Gentle(lady) together with their matchy-matchy socks. The older pair has faded a lot, and the light yellow color really shows the dirt. But we love all these socks!

4 comments:

  1. "I want them to look like socks." Awesome. What's so hard to understand about that?

    Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh....mother/son socks. And "hunting" socks knitted by a vegetarian. It doesn't get any better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cute! I love the things your boys say about socks/knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are amazing i was just think of getting some shooting stockings for the a bit of a winter break in the summer :) Im off to Canada for a week skiing

    ReplyDelete