Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Daily Dose of Fiber

I have much to catch you up on, and it will come - in installments. Today you'll see that I concentrated on procuring fiber for spinning at this year's Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival. I came home with 5 acquisitions:
  1. 8 oz Finnsheep/mohair blend from Misty Mountain Farm. I'm hoping to make sock yarn from this. We'll see if I can spin it fine enough for sock yarn.
  2. 4 oz Bluefaced Leicester roving from Gale's Art. Colorway: Stormy Sea
  3. 8 oz finewool top from Shadeyside Farm. Colorway: Riverstone
  4. 4 oz Cormo roving from Winterhaven Fiber Farm. Colorway: Smokey Violet
  5. 8 oz wool/mohair roving from Persimmon Tree Farm. Colorway: Blueberry

Many displays showed samples of finished yarn spun from dyed roving/top, which really helped me make decisions. Yarn does not turn out the same color as the fiber from which it was spun! In general, I think the yarn ends up looking more muted than the fiber. Stay tuned for results. Now, gotta get to my wheel...

2 comments:

  1. "You spin me right round baby right round..."

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you found a break in the rain that was long enough to allow for pictures. I am impressed.

    #3 looks smaller than last time I saw it. You must be spinnin' spinnin' spinnin'!

    ReplyDelete