Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Kid Cap

Knitters’ Day Out is coming up quickly – just 2.5 more weeks!  Part of the registration “fee” is to knit a hat for Caps for Kids.  I started one last night. 

I’m using Valley Yarns Sugarloaf from my stash.  I bought it for another kid hat project where machine washability was important (it’s 52% superfine merino/48% acrylic microfiber).  It’s interesting!  I’m going to go all Clara Parkes on you and talk about yarn construction.  Look at this:IMG_4322See how it’s made?  10 tiny little double-plies all plied together with a tight twist ratio (Kristina, this reminds me of the white yarn from your yarnstorming box).  The yarn is a heavy worsted weight, but it feels light and squishy – that’s because of all the air trapped in those little 2-ply strands.  It’s actually very soft and quite nice to work with. 

I’m making a simple hat with a solid ribbed band and one row stripes coming out of it.  The stripes have no jog, because I started with one color on one of my two circular needles, and the other color on the second circular.  They spiral around like the stripes on a barber pole.IMG_4325 I know you can’t see the jogless stripes in this photo, but you get the idea.  The light is a little off here.  The gray is a nice deep charcoal gray, and the other color is a light springy green.  I think it could potentially work for a boy OR a girl.  What do you think?

I’m working this on 2 circulars, size US 9.  Shouldn’t take long.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Still having a hard time wrapping my brain around why those stripes would be jogless. Is this like the kind that the Russian-born woman (whose blog escapes me right now) demonstrated? I don't think I ever got that.

    But great hat, Clara!

    ReplyDelete