I first heard about the Basic Arch Shaped Sock pattern (by Marlowe Crawford) on the Y Knit podcast (episode 18). I was intrigued enough to jot it down on my Sock Summit spreadsheet and seek it out at the booth for A Verb for Keeping Warm. This sock is knit from the cuff down. The leg, heel flap, and heel turn are exactly like my basic sock recipe. The decreases on the foot are different, though. They are shaped so that the sock hugs the arch of the foot (this is actually achieved by a series of increases and decreases, not just decreases, like on a standard sock). See? This shaping means that the top of the foot features a nice v shape:And the bottom is full of surprises: I like this sock a lot, but I had some issues knitting it:
- The pattern is written for dpns and I wanted to use 2 circulars. There were some translation issues (of my own making, since I chose to go this route).
- There were some errors on the heel flap directions. Next time I’ll follow my standard instructions. (There was also a discrepancy between the written instructions and the chart.)
- The pattern calls for 16 stitches to be picked up on each edge of the heel flap. In order to pick up all the slipped stitches and avoid holes in this area, I needed to pick up 20 stitches on each side. I knew from experience that it would not do to only pick up 16, so I went ahead with 20.
- Once I had more stitches than the pattern called for, I wasn’t completely sure how to adjust the placement of the increases and decreases in the foot. I decided to do my regular decreases (SSK one stitch in from the beginning of the row, K2tog one stitch in from the end of the row, every other row) until my stitch count matched that of the pattern, and then proceed with the pattern. This meant that the arch shaping began further away from the heel and closer to the toe of the sock. Once I got the hang of it, I was prepared to rip it back to the heel flap and begin again, except…
- …that the sole fit comfortably even so! So I continued.
- This meant that my toe decrease began just a few rounds after all the arch shaping ended, which I think distorted my usually elegant star toe. I think the regular trapezoidal toe might be better with this sock for this reason (and it is what the pattern calls for – I just always substitute the star toe).
I’m going to knit sock #2 to match sock #1. But I’m anxious to begin another pair and make some adjustments. The arch shaping really is pleasing. And since the sock is almost entirely stockinette, it knit up rather quickly.
Steven bought the corresponding men’s sock pattern, Oliver. I’m anxious to hear his report.