Sunday, February 7, 2010

Valentine’s Knitting

Valentine’s Day is coming up!  It always sneaks up on me.  I tend to knit a lot of gifts for Christmas and then take a big break afterward.  So Valentine’s usually surprises me.  Luckily, this year I came up with a quick knit that also uses something from stash.

Fingerless, thumb-less mitts (are they even mitts if they have no fingers or thumbs?):IMG_5496These were soooooo easy to make.  I improvised a pattern:

CO 27.
K2 P1 rib for 30 rounds.
To make thumb opening: starting with WS row, work back and forth, slipping the first stitch of each row and keeping in pattern, for 10 rows.
Then resume knitting in the round for 11 rounds.
Bind off in Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off.

These fit fine alone, or they can be worn over a pair of thin fleece gloves in order to maintain fine motor control (for keys, carseat buckles, etc.).  This added layer also makes them EXTRA cozy.IMG_5497 And best of all, I used some of my own handspun for this project, some merino top I spun about a year ago.  I used most of it, too – I have only about 15 g left.  Perfect!

I finished these yesterday and started that sparkly Deck the Ball that I promised.  Finished it this morning, so here it is:IMG_5500 Here are a few photos that illustrate how deep the snow is here.  I’m not exactly sure how much we got – maybe 20-24”?

IMG_5468

IMG_5486

IMG_5491

1 comment:

  1. Look at you being all designery. Nice! No frosty forearms for you.

    But both of your gnomes look chilly.

    ReplyDelete