After a ridiculous amount of consideration, I’ve decided to abandon the Tangled Garden sock pattern. The sizing wasn’t right and the floats were simply too long for a sock. My success with the colorful felted bag was the final nail in Tangled Garden’s coffin – it helped me decide that the problem was more with the pattern than with my two-color knitting technique.
Instead, Pam and I have settled on another stranded colorwork sock, using the same pink and green yarn. I laboriously reskeined the old yarn so I could give it a bath to straighten out all the kinks. Then I rewound the skeins into balls again. I needed a truly fresh start on this project.
As a bonus, I already had this pattern, since it was a reward for participating in the Socks Revived contest in 2010 (where I entered my Night Gulls pattern).
I’m still uncertain whether I’m knitting the right size. I went for the middle one, which has 80 stitches at the cast-on edge but decreases to 75 later on in the leg. I upped my needle size from last time and am using a 2.5 mm (it seems SO BIG!). You can’t tell because of the rolling, but I’m into the culture stitch pattern a few rounds. We’ll see. I’m so dubious about whether non-stretchy socks will actually fit and not be all slouchy and yucky.
But I am determined to deliver a pair of satisfactory socks to Pam early in 2011!
Cerisara update later this weekend (by the way, it’s pronounced “Sarah Sarah”).