Sunday, April 17, 2011

Knee socks?!

I finished my green leafy wrap yesterday, but I can’t show it to you because it’s in a sink full of suds right now.  Instead, I’ll share a project I started a couple of weeks ago: knee socks.

I know! Who starts warm, wooly knee socks in April?  But I felt inspired, so I just went with it.  I have wanted to make Chrissy Gardiner’s Bohus-Style Knee-Highs for a while now.  I had the pattern, but not the yarn.  I decided to see if I could make it work from stash. 

On the left is the photo from the book (muted color palette) and on the right is another version (much bolder) from the Knit Picks catalog.  I bought some wood dpns to use, since my stranded sock knitting in the round hasn’t been going so well with my usual two circular method.IMG_8691

Let’s have another look at the bolder socks, shall we?  They are just so stunning!Bohus-Style Knee Highs Pattern I contemplated the stash, consulted with S1, and came up with this:IMG_8689 The pretty spring green is Shelridge Farm Soft Touch Heather in color “willow,” originally purchased to make the Treetop Socks for myself.  I really wanted to make those socks, but there were big huge red flags that caused me to abandon the plan.  I have 200 g, plenty for knee socks.  That will be the main color.  The contrasting colors are all from Simply Socks Yarn Company’s new(ish) solid line.  The blue is left over from Boy 2’s Fjordland socks (also designed by Chrissy Gardiner), and the two browns are 2 of the 4 colors purchased to make Mad for Plaid socks for S1.  She okayed their reassignment (I can always get more).

I have begun.  I can’t say I love knitting on dpns – it feels very slow and unnatural to me.  I will very likely switch back to circs once I get past the bohus band at the top of the cuff.  But for now, I’m using the pointy little sticks:

IMG_8724

The Bohus-style band is only 37 rounds wide.  Not much.  Then again, I’ve only done about 7 of those rounds.  Slow going!

1 comment:

  1. Cute! And I approve of the colors. Don't worry about stranding on the DPNS. You'll get used to it. It was the only way I could get those mittens to work.

    Funny Word Verification: worewog

    ReplyDelete