Sunday, July 10, 2011

Circle Socks

IMG_9382

Boy 1’s socks are done.  He loves them!  I like them.  Here are my thoughts:

  • The honeycomb pattern isn’t as stretchy as you might think a knit-purl pattern would be, even accounting for the slipped stitches. I worked the leg over 56 stitches and he has a hard time getting it on.  (I knit the heel over 30 stitches and made the heel flap deep in order to compensate.)  If I were knitting for an adult, I might use more stitches than the recommended 64.
  • The Knit Picks Stroll yarn in Midnight Heather is lovely – but not quite a perfect match for the hand paint.  I couldn’t tell this from the website, but the heathered bits are mostly greenish – so the overall effect with the deep blue and green is peacock-y.  Not an ideal match for the purple and blue handpaint.  I’d love a pair of socks made from the Midnight Heather alone, though.
  • I had plenty of blue yarn left – I bought 2 50-gram balls, but only used 37 grams of the first ball.
  • Even though I only knit with one yarn on each round, working with two yarns was still fiddly and really slowed me down.  Not my favorite sock knitting experience.IMG_9384 S1 likes the honeycomb pattern and has requested a phone cozy made in it – but with just one yarn, not two.  I’ll have to add that to the list.

I have a tiny bit of class homework for Sock Summit left, plus the gathering of class supplies, but finishing these socks and getting that Japanese book were the biggest homework components.  So I’m happy to be done with those.  Now, on to Eloise’s hat!

Check out Boy 1’s foot modeling:IMG_9388

1 comment: