Sunday, January 29, 2012

Serendipitous Spinning

IMG_0645Today a group of spinners gathered in nearby New Oxford for what I hope will become a monthly tradition: Spinning Circle!  We met at a new shop downtown on the square called Serendipity.  The owner, Terry, stocks many things made by Pennsylvania artisans – including some gorgeous pottery, jewelry, and handwoven items (her loom is set up in the back).

There were 7 spinners there today using a variety of wheels and spindles.IMG_0629 IMG_0635

IMG_0638

IMG_0637IMG_0643How did I not get a photo of Jess’s Pretty Pirate yarn?  Oops! Must have gotten distracted.  Since she’s spinning what looked like cobweb yarn to me, I’ll probably have plenty more opportunities.

I started some natural BFL (blue faced leicester) that I bought from Misty Mountain Farm at MDSW.  I checked The Knitter’s Book of Wool and The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook BEFORE beginning this time, and noted that this longwool breed begs to be spun worsted rather than woolen.  Since my fiber preparation appears to be top (not roving) and my default spinning style is worsted, this is perfect for me.  I have 8 oz and I’m planning a 2-ply yarn.IMG_0646

IMG_0647

I got more spinning done today than I have in a long time.  It’s amazing what you can do with a little structure. Thanks for bringing us together, Terry!

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a fun day. Always great to get out and do your craft with like-minded types. All your pictures made the spinning space look so cozy and inviting.

    ReplyDelete