Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Good Golly (again)

Do you remember this Molly hat I made for S1 back in Fall 2011?

[IMG_9938%255B4%255D.jpg]

At the time, I mentioned that it was pretty big. As the years have passed, it’s become obvious that the hat is just TOO big. So when I was scooping up handknits to store until next winter (and thinking about whether they still sparked joy), I paused when I got to this one.

I still love the pattern and the yarn, but the hat wasn’t serviceable. So, I ripped it out!IMG_6207When I got done I had two ramen-y skeins like this:

IMG_6216

I gave them a bath to “rejuvenate” them, wound them back into balls, and started the hat over. This time, I took my cue from the dimensions of my Sap Leaves hat, which is also made from Brooklyn Tweed’s Shelter. The brim of this hat fit S1 just fine:

sap hat

So I modified the Molly pattern to be more like it. I cast on 72 stitches on US 5 and worked in 1x1 rib for 12 rounds. Then I switched to US 7 and increased to 108 by working *K1 Kfb* around. Then I started the pattern. I had to fudge a little on the crown decreases but it worked just fine. IMG_6538The resulting hat weighs 58 grams, and I have 17 grams of the re-wound yarn remaining. This means the new hat is  78% as heavy as the old hat. It should stay on her head and be great this winter.IMG_6542 She looks like a happy camper.

3 comments:

Bonny said...

Just the thought of trying on a wool hat in the summer makes me break out in a sweat, but S1 looks >78% happy to have a hat that fits well for winter. I think 'KonMari' would also approve!

Sharon said...

I look stoned in that picture but really I was just trying to smile big so we could wrap it up because i wanted to see what the plumbers in our front yard were up to!

Steven said...

I love all the data listed in this post. And >78% happy -- for sure! I admire you for re-doing this project. I need to do that more often. I would be more likely just to start over with new yarn, which is wasteful and unnecessary. I'll keep this in mind!