Sunday, September 13, 2015

Dorset Down - Done

IMG_8442

This is a pretty skein of yarn. The spinning isn’t precisely even, but the fiber was stickier in some places than others. I just went with it, which I’m finding is the best approach with longdraw spinning.

I ended up spinning it the way I spun the first sample: 14:1 for singles and 16:1 for the 2-ply. I knit both my samples and liked the first one better (the one on the bottom right):

IMG_8429

This yarn is so fuzzy. You can really see it in this photo – these are the sample balls before I knit them: IMG_8428

The yarn is really light and lofty. The finished skein contains about 216 yards and weighs 90 grams. IMG_8438 I’m not sure what to make with this (suggestions welcome). It is not the softest yarn ever, but it is so warm and lightweight. Perhaps a hat is the best idea. I could always knit a liner for the brim if I wanted a softer yarn right next to my forehead.

3 comments:

  1. I think you may have already provided the best answer to your question. Fingerless mitts might work, but I really like the hat idea with a soft brim lining for this pretty, pretty yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see that made into a hat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice job. It looks quite sproingy. All those shades of blue...

    ReplyDelete