I have another hat to share! This one shares some characteristics with my last hat, the Alewives Hat – they are both knit in Julia yarn (50/25/25 wool/alpaca/mohair) and both are modeled by Boy 1. But this one is for a friend who is starting chemo. She’s going to need some soft, warm hats this winter and I hope this will be just that.
The pattern is Sitka Spruce by Tin Can Knits. I was drawn to the botanical motif. My friend is from the Pacific Northwest, and this reminded me of the forests out her way. This color is a gorgeous deep green called Velvet Moss.
The pattern has two hat versions: the “beanie” and the “beret.” Neither was very big, and I was after a slouchy look. So I added another pattern repeat (Chart A, 28 rounds) before beginning the crown decreases.
My hat model’s head is 21.25” in circumference and the hat recipient’s head is 22.5”. I think it will be perfect.
I began the hat like this:
- CO 97 (not 96 as written). Do not join.
- Slip 1, K1tbl, *P1 K1tlb* until 1 stitch left
- Purl last stitch together with first slipped stitch to join round
- Then proceed with twisted rib *K1tbl P1*
This technique results in the more attractive side of the CO to show on the outside of the hat (IMHO). As a bonus, I find it easier to join the round after working one row. I learned this on the Alewives Hat. You can see that they turned out roughly the same size:
The dark green hat weighs 112 grams and so used about 208 yards. The light green hat weighs 102 grams and used about 174 yards. The dark green hat is full of twisted stitches, which take more yarn to work. On a side, note, I had to switch to a Knit Picks needle for the sharp tip. The twisted stitches were impossible to work with an Addi Turbo needle.
I’m counting this as part of my Project Stashbust because I had the yarn in stash. It is nice to have some good yarns “in stock”!