Monday, November 28, 2016

What would you do with a magic wand?

The colorway of this fiber is “Magic Wand” and I adore how it came out. I started with about 6 oz of 70/20/10 wool/mohair/silk roving. I almost always spin roving in a woolen style and this is my go-to technique, which I believe is technically a “supported long draw.” IMG_2126

I weighed the fiber and divided it into 3 equal sections… so I ended up with 3 bobbins:IMG_2140

You can see some lovely color variation there already. I made a regular 3-ply yarn (not chain ply) and ended up with this gorgeous pillow of deliciousness:IMG_2151

I ended up with 280 yards (166 g) of yarn. It’s in two skeins but I twisted them together here for documentary purposes. I haven’t wound it into a ball yet so I haven’t inspected the yarn closely to “size” it, but here is a photo with a quarter for scale:IMG_2156

I love this yarn so much. S1 commented that it looks like something I would buy at a shop. That is part of why we spin – to make the exact yarn we want to work with! So – I LOVE this yarn, but I did not think about what I wanted to make with it when I spun it. What would you conjure with this magic wand?

2 comments:

  1. "What a perfect name for that beautiful colorway!" said the woman who may have fallen for yarn based largely upon its name. I think I'd wave my magic wand and conjure up a cowl/infinity scarf so I could snuggle into its warmth and see the delightful colors up close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you can do this -- such a great color. I don't know...a slouchy hat? I've been thinking a lot about slouchy hats lately.

    ReplyDelete