This took me a really long time. I thought a sweater with no sleeves would be quick and easy, but I WAS WRONG. This vest is full of beautiful stitches and they really limited when I could work on it. But they are oh so beautiful. Check out this texture – don’t you just want to squish it?
Let’s do a short recap:
- Yarn purchased at Longo Maï mill in Saint Chaffrey, France, 2015. (Such a fun outing with Nathalie!!)
- Yarn dyed at my friend Annette’s house in September, 2016. (So fun to have friends with complementary fiber talents!)
- Can’t quite get gauge and Boy 1’s chest is 5” smaller than the smallest pattern size, but cast on October 3 anyway.
- Lose my mojo for complicated knitting after the election.
- Learn that I can fix mis-crossed cables by doing cable surgery. Twice. Finish sweater back.
- Start sweater front. Rip and reknit a bunch when I realize two skeins are very different colors.
- Finish knitting the sweater front during a long car journey. Discover that I didn’t start the neck division soon enough, so the front is longer than the back. Rip and reknit part of front again.
- Finish knitting front for real. Seam. Try on Boy 1. Heave a huge sign of relief that it seems to fit. Work neck band and armbands. Final bindoff on 1-8-17.
- Order shirts that might look right with the vest.
- PHOTO SHOOT! (Return one shirt.)
I had to think harder about this project than anything I’ve knitted in a while, and that’s a good thing. But I’m glad it’s done now! The final vest weighs only 218 grams, which means I have plenty of that French yarn left. (The skeins were about 100 g each and I bought 8…. 4 are still undyed.)
The pattern is Dr. G’s Memory Vest. I can guarantee you it’s one I will always remember. I hope he does, too.