Sunday, January 15, 2017

Greenbow–a rainbow in green

IMG_2326

My greenbow spinning project is done! I started with 24 ounces of “Romoca” fiber (a blend of Romney wool, mohair, and alpaca) from Singleton Fiber Mill and ended up with about 1300 yards of 3-ply woolen-spun yarn. I stored about an ounce of singles on each storage bobbin and wound off every time I filled my four wheel bobbins – when I was done I had this:IMG_5024

You can see a lot of color variation in the bobbins. Of course, the variation you see is only on the top layer… no bobbin looks the same all the way through. You can really see lots of red, yellow, blue, and brown if you look at the roving:IMG_8961a

Making a 3-ply instead of a 2-ply helped blend the colors even more.

Because this project was larger, I finished (washed) the skeins in two batches. This gives me the chance to show you the difference between a freshly plied but unfinished skein, and a finished one:IMG_5106

The one on the left is unwashed. The skein does not hang in a nice loop when I hold it up – it twists (which you can see even when it’s laying flat). The one on the right has been washed and is much more relaxed and balanced:IMG_5107

When you look very closely, you can see that the unwashed skein looks a little more wiry. The washed strands are relaxed and fluffier.IMG_5111

Because I spun these woolen, they are full of air and very squishy. I just love how this project turned out! Someday this will become a sweater for me. IMG_2330

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your process and I love how the yarn turned out! I can't wait to see what sweater you choose!

    ReplyDelete