Friday, September 5, 2008

As the heel turns

Progress has slowed on several fronts, due to a busy schedule at work and knitting/spinning time diluted by many projects. Now that the first year students are all oriented, I hope to accelerate a bit.

However, I managed to turn the heel on this baby yesterday, thanks to one longer meeting (heel flap), a bit of extra time at lunch (heel turn), and a shortish meeting (picking up gusset stitches). That was the daytime progress.

Evening time was spent at the wheel. I have another spinning lesson with Gail Monday evening, and I want to have some of that gray Coopworth (scroll down past the hat) turned into actual yarn before then. I also want to try making a 3-ply yarn for the first time. I have 2 bobbins spun about 2/3 full, and I started the 3rd one last night. I need to finish that today and tomorrow so that I can ply on Sunday and be ready to share on Monday. It's taking me much longer to fill a bobbin now, because my spun thread is getting thinner and thinner. I've been trying to spin this batch a little on the tight side. If the 3-ply works out well, maybe it can be used for sock yarn. We'll see...

I have another kid hat on the needles and nearly finished. It's part of my Knitters' Day Out registration. Classes are coming up in 2 short weeks - I'm really looking forward to that! I should finish up that hat so that I can concentrate more on the Must-Have Cardigan.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great.

    I can't wait to see the results of the attempt at 3 ply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I said so at Flickr, but it bears repeating. I really adore the colors of this socks.

    Spinning your own sock yarn. The mind reels.

    I bet with a little creative fencing, you could keep at least one sheep in your backyard...

    ReplyDelete