Friday, January 28, 2011

Hip to be square?

I have been intrigued by the new square knitting needles produced by Kollage, so I asked Santa to think about giving me some.  Santa and I have a clear line of communication and he came through as usual.  :)

I finally started a new pair of socks on my favorite size, US 0 (2 mm), and was able to give the needles a test drive.  Here is some Felici yarn from the stash in a very neutral colorway called “Putty” (I think it could have been named “Steven” if the KnitPicks people had a close personal relationship with my friend Steven!) that will coordinate perfectly with khaki and brown pants for work, I think.IMG_8195 I’m using a simple shadow rib pattern, which I’ve used before on a heather-y sock.

I really like the square needle tips, but the cable is slowing me down.  It will make more sense if I show you rather than tell you:

I’m still not sure if I love them.  The join is a little rough and the cable is sooooo flexible that changing needles is very slow.  Maybe I’ll get the hang of it as I go along?  We’ll see…

By the way, the Kollage circulars come in two cable types: soft and firm.  These are the “soft” cables.

2 comments:

  1. A friend of mine here in Texas had the same issue. She does most of her socks by magic loop, and it was driving her crazy that she couldn't push the needle into position because of the floppy cable.

    I really do like that colorway. And it is very "me." In so many ways, Steven=Putty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if there are functions to the soft cable that might not be clear with socks? What kind of project doesn't require pulling the needle back through?

    I'd be curious to see what the "firm" cables are like...

    ReplyDelete