Monday, December 1, 2008

Bag Supplies


Bag Supplies
Originally uploaded by JLW in PA
I ordered yarn for a felted bag. The bag will be lined with this fabric. Cute!

I still haven't figured out the bag design yet, though. I have been swatching (unsuccessfully) to work out the details. I'm using odd bits of Knit Picks Wool of the Andes for my swatches, so ignore the ugly color combinations. My first swatch was knit in the round. Unfortunately, it didn't lay flat. It would have if it were a square, but I need a rectangle. Back to the drawing board.

My next swatch was knit flat in garter stitch. It was a square before felting, but look what happened! It's now a weird hourglass shape. That won't work... I wonder why my felted boxes, which were also knit in garter stitch, came out fine? Maybe it was because of the structure of the box shape. The Mason-Dixon felted box pattern is the only felted knit I know of made in garter stitch. Do you know of others? Are there issues felting garter stitch fabric?

I started another pair of swatches during a meeting today. Hopefully I can figure out something that will work for this bag. The bag is quite simple, but I want it to be right. It's a Christmas gift for my sweetie.

1 comment:

  1. All my felting (not much) has been with stocinette, so I can't help you there. The colors are perfect!

    ReplyDelete