Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday!

My friend Kristina's birthday is today, Christmas Day, and this year is a big one. I'll give you a hint: it starts with 4. Did you wonder why I wasn't showing much spinning lately? That's because I was spinning a secret! I gave Kristina this skein of handspun for her special birthday. It's 248 yards (114 g) of 2-ply wool from a roving called "Heidi's Blues" (the sheep is named Heidi). I got this at the Knitters' Day Out market back in September. It's not perfect, but it felt good enough to gift, and I'm proud of it. I wonder what she will knit with it... Today we're at home, just the four of us, and we're all having a ball. Boy 1 is deep into Mario Kart on the Wii, Boy 2 is hippity-hopping and scooter-ing around the house, and S and I are reading books about our various hobbies. Here's a collage of my knitting-related stuff:
Kristina sent me a pair of mittens that she knit from the Jamie Harmon yarn we love so much (we both made the mystery reversible hat from Jamie Harmon yarn earlier this fall, and this yarn matches my hat perfectly). The mittens fit great and are soooo cozy. She also knit mini stocking hat ornaments for our whole family (note the initials) - aren't they adorable? They are knit from the same yarn as our Christmas stockings. Thanks, Kristina!

S went all out and jumped on that Knitting Daily offer for the Knitter's Holiday Pack (sale now over, I checked), which included a bag full of knitting books and magazines, including the season one Knitting Daily TV on DVD and an audiobook (this one). Franklin's book has me giggling already, and those stitch cards from Harmony are really cool. So much more portable than the actual stitch dictionary. The Knitter's Holiday Pack also included Knit Fix, Knitter's Companion (which I already own but it's good to stash to give to a new knitter someday), Scarf Style (I've admired this book so many times but didn't own it), and several back issues of magazines, a Knitting Daily tape measure, and a Knitting Daily canvas messenger bag. I can't believe how much great stuff came bundled together in that package. In addition to the big package, I also got the Knitty 2009 calendar and the new Harlot book.

So now, I've got to get off the computer and go read. Merry Christmas, everyone, and I hope you have the best day!

3 comments:

  1. Just saw that it was K's birthday today and sent her a note.

    What a wonderful Christmas for you and the family! We're not opening presents until tomorrow sometime due to some scheduling issues, but I've been able to get some knitting done.

    Enjoy those cozy mittens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought Stich N Bitch and I am going out to get the needles in a better size (6 or 7 right?).

    I have become obsessed with this. It is in my new years resolution to learn to knit this year and have something wearable by the end of the year. So crank the inspiration on your blog. I need it.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. How honored I am to have a blog post mentioning my birthday!

    Glad that you like the ornaments and the mittens. I still have more Jamie Harmon left! Can you believe it?

    Looks like S. did right by you! Can't wait to see everything on my next visit.

    ReplyDelete