Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Fabulous Forty

What’s not to love about the fifth decade?  It sure started out great.  A huge birthday banner greeted me by the breakfast table:

Happy Birthday Mom

This thing is BIG, like 4x6 feet.  Look carefully – it’s covered with balls of yarn!  S1 told the boys to draw pictures of things I liked. 

I also got a copy of Clara Parkes’ new book, The Knitter’s Book of Wool.  It’s dreamy, everything I expected and more.  I’ll post a review soon.

When I got home from work, a book box was waiting for me on the front porch.  S1 said “This is for you, but I don’t recognize the return address.”  I looked at it and said “I do! This must be a signed copy of Kristin Nicholas’s new book that Kristina had sent to me!”  And it was.  Check out the colorful note:IMG_4634The photographs in this book are exciting.  If there’s one thing Kristin knows, it’s color.  I’ve been meaning to make a couple of her patterns for a while now (like the big lilac bag and crochet Christmas ornaments).  I especially like how she embellishes knitted and felted items with colorful embroidery.  This book includes embroidery instruction, color theory, and much more.  I’ll post a full review another day.  I haven’t had time to sink my teeth into this book yet.  I just keep caressing the beautiful cover whenever I walk past it.  What a treat.  Thank you, Kristina!

In knitting news, I finished the pink sparkly socks last week.  I’ll post a full report with photo as soon as I get that photo.  Meggan wants to wear a specific outfit to pose with the socks.  You have to appreciate a handknit recipient who is so into the documentation process that she plans a coordinating outfit.  She also asked about laundry care right away!  (I gave her a Soak sample packet to try.)  This woman knows how to play the situation.  She just might get another pair one day.  Ha!

1 comment: