Sunday, December 4, 2011

Christmas is coming…!

Are you the type of knitter who knits a lot of holiday gifts, or not?  I fall somewhere in the middle.  I usually knit one or two significant gifts – often far ahead of time – but additionally, I succumb to some last-minute idea for something else handknit.

I’m right on track this year.  My big gift is for my mom (she doesn’t read the blog, so you all know about it already): the Pamuya shawl I finished in September:IMG_9910My last-minute gift is something a little less “me.”  Here’s a peek: IMG_0281 Remember when I went to that yarn shop in the Outer Banks a couple of summers ago?  It was full of bright colors and stocked way more cotton than wool, not my aesthetic at all.  But I got caught up in that vibe and bought the yarn to make a little bag.  The multicolor yarn is made from recycled viscose from Indonesia.  It is held double with Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece (80% cotton, 20% wool).  You got the pattern (a shop original) for free if you bought the yarn.  I did it.IMG_0282 I don’t know what I was thinking… this doesn’t look like a bag I would carry.  But you know who it does look like?  A 4-year-old girl!  So when I ran across this project recently when tidying up, I decided to knit it up for my niece for Christmas.  I think she’ll love it.

This is one of those projects that is deceptively simple.  The pattern is dead easy – you knit the base of the bag flat in garter stitch, then pick up stitches on 3 sides and begin knitting in the round – but working with these two yarns together is difficult.  I can see a beginner knitter being drawn to it and then frustrated by it.  But I will push through.  I got some done while errand-ing yesterday and during a music concert.IMG_0287I’ve noticed that knitters like to take care with the wrapping of their gifts, also.  If you aren’t already aware of the fabulous gift tags designed by Laylock, you should make your acquaintance.  She just recently released some free, printable tags shaped like mittens with care instructions already printed – you just circle the appropriate symbol(s). I’ve been using Laylock’s KnitLove tags for years.  They are really lovely.

For non-handknit gifts, you might enjoy these retro-look printable gift tags.  So many independent designers make things freely available for us to use – it’s a wonderful gift.

What are you knitting for Christmas, Hanukkah, or anything that’s celebrated this month?

1 comment:

  1. Not much of a holiday knitter myself, last Christmas' cowl-and-gaiter-fest notwithstanding. Your mom is gonna love that shawl, and likewise your niece the bag!

    ReplyDelete