Sunday, July 20, 2014

Long draw

The style of spinning I was taught, and my default technique now, is informally known as “inchworm.” Technically it’s “short forward draw.” This worsted technique makes a smooth, dense, drape-y yarn that is quite beautiful.IMG_4262

But because I don’t do it, I’ve long wanted to spin the other way: woolen. The long draw is the hallmark of woolen spinning, which transforms a carded fiber into a lofty, airy yarn. A commercial example of a woolen yarn is Brooklyn Tweed Shelter (and also Loft). IMG_4263

I finally worked my way through Jacey Boggs’ article "Lying About Longdraw: Helping spinners get from worsted to woolen" from the Winter 2013 issue of PLY magazine. And look! Long draw! I diligently worked through all 9 steps of Jacey’s process, and it totally worked. Thanks, Jacey!

The fiber I’m using is mostly wool. I notice that the different colors are not the same in terms of density and “stickiness.” In other words, this roving doesn’t draft with perfect consistency. But it’s going pretty well. I’ve devoted some of this half-pound bag to pure practice and now have an additional bobbin of decent singles (in the first photo). I plan to spin one more bobbin of singles and then make a 2-ply yarn.

IMG_4264

I bought this fiber at KDO 2008, just after I learned to spin, so I’m very happy to be using it now. It’s been waiting a while.

Next up: I have carded preparations of Icelandic and Jacob fiber, so I will try the long draw them them, too.

1 comment:

  1. Such impressive work! Looking forward to seeing it in person and hearing your tips.

    ReplyDelete