Sunday, September 4, 2016

Handspun Update

One of my goals for 2016 was to knit more of my handspun. I’m not sure I’ve done such a great job of it, though. So far I’ve only managed two cowls, a shawl, and most of a sweater (I haven’t shown you the Drumlin Cardigan in a while… but all the pieces are done).

I’ve been trying to have a handspun project queued up and ready to go at all times. This is the latest item from that “thinking ahead” list - I selected the pattern and wound the yarn for the Little BigWrap early in the summer (before my travels). I cast it on when I was home after my recent appendectomy.IMG_3974

I love all the versions of this shawl in Ravelry. It calls for a “special” yarn and a coordinating solid. I thought that this cake of gradient yarn could be my special yarn – I spun it from an Into the Whirled Falkland Batt earlier this year. The greige yarn is 3-ply BFL that I spun in 2012.

But as I ponder this WIP, two niggling concerns hold me back from working on it more:

  1. The many versions of the shawl that I love so much in Ravelry are much more colorful than mine. Their “special” yarn must be a variegated yarn with many color changes. I am still stuck on the first color of the gradient cake and it seems like it is lasting a long time. Will this project actually use the whole gradient? Not sure.
  2. The pattern calls for DK weight yarn. I’m not sure what my handspun is, but it’s probably more like a worsted or even an aran. This is a hefty fabric and one I’m not sure I will actually wear as a shawl.

The project has been in stasis for long enough that I’m pretty sure I’ll rip it out. But before I do, what do you think?

 

IMG_3931

I may struggle with knitting my handspun, but the handspun keeps on happening. After finishing the latest Sheepspot Fiber Club shipment, I picked up a pretty braid from Spunky Eclectic that I got at MDSW last May. It is Polwarth-Mohair-Silk (65/25/10) combed top, in the “Peepers” colorway. I split it into two sections and am spinning it worsted style, pretty fine. I’m hoping to get something like a fingering weight yarn that can be used for a simple scarf/shawl. I’m done with the first bobbin and am into the second one. 20160831_184535

Other than that, I’ve been cruising through Dan’s Bus Driver Socks and thinking about Knitters’ Day Out, which is in less than two weeks. I’m not done with my homework yet so I need to get on that.

3 comments:

  1. I love the look. I'm wondering if the faukland you just finished would be better from a color management perspective. You'd get the color variation much more quickly.

    Of course that gradient would look pretty dashing on its own too. I actually think hand spin yarn is what is throwing me into the design process. there aren't enough clever patterns written with the hand spinner in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your special yarn does look very special in the cake, and I think it would be beautiful in this project if your color runs were shorter so you would have the full gradient in the shawl. But for the good reasons you listed, my vote would be to use the yarn in a project that would better show all its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shawl! And, that yarn is beautiful too Janelle! However, here is my advice - if something is telling you to stop, listen.

    ReplyDelete