Sunday, April 8, 2018

Layout

Y’all know I’ve been working on my I Love Leftovers sock yarn blanket for a while now (since October 2015, to be exact). It started with these 3 squares: 23290121802_aa5c2d4875_k

I knitted in fits and starts for a while. By August of 2016, I only had 26 squares done. By July of 2017, I was at 121. As I finished them, I blocked them (so they lay nice and flat) 20180204_115737…and stowed them away in these boxes. It turns out each box can hold 50 squares neatly. 20180408_134851

20180408_135443These make for excellent travel knitting. You can pack a lot of balls of leftover sock yarn in a very small project bag, and the squares are about 4.5-5” square. A couple weeks ago, I hit 200. That was my goal… it seemed like the right amount.

Today, I vacuumed the carpet and got out ALL my squares. First, I sorted them roughly by color:20180408_140912

And then I started fussing with layout. My initial idea was to make a ROYGBIV wave that travels from red in one corner to violet (well, I extended violet to pink) in the opposite corner. I’ve been fiddling with a few squares here and there, but this is what I have right now:20180408_181609

The grid is 12x16, which you’ll note only requires 192 squares. My leftovers blanket has leftovers! I’m still trying to decide if I like that rainbow square in the top left corner or not. The multicolored squares look more muddy in this photo, but are more lively and interesting up close.

I did some practice seaming on a couple squares and I think it’s going to be mattress stitch – miles of mattress stitch. I’ll sew rows and then attach the rows. And then… I’ll see about picking up stitches on the outside to work a garter border in black. I’ve made a ton of progress but this project is far from done!

4 comments:

  1. Miles and miles of mattress stitching sounds daunting, but so worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. The most daunting part is that it must be done at a table with good light... so this is not a TV project.

      Delete
  2. The layout of all these squares makes me feel all tingly. I love how it's so much work, but was done in little bitty manageable pieces. Not sure what I think of the rainbow square, but I love the gradually shifting tones from one corner to the other. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steven, I think I agree on the rainbow piece. I took it out and am liking it better. This project is still holding our living room floor hostage from my family. But we all enjoy looking at it!

      Delete