Saturday, February 9, 2019

Tenure Hat

My friend Kim earned tenure last December, and so naturally, my response was "Congratulations - you get a hat!"


We got together for a hat consultation in January. She tried on all the handknit hats we could round up at our house, and one of them made her squeal. Interestingly, it was the very same one that Emily liked. So I retrieved my bin that contains my decreasing stash of Julia, and we looked at colors.

Side note - I often feel a bit guilty about stashing yarn that has no specific purpose, but this stash has been nice to have. Years ago, when Nashua Handknits discontinued Julia (Kristin Nicholas's signature yarn, a 50/25/25 blend of wool/mohair/alpaca in her color palette), I bought 2-3 balls each of a whole bunch of colors. WEBS offered a great price and I loaded up. Those balls of yarn live in their own small bin and don't mix with the rest of the worsted weight yarns.

Anyway, Kim selected a sophisticated blue and gray combination, and I knit her hat just a little longer than Sharon's so it would completely cover her ears. It is cute and sassy and she loves it, so I love it, too!
It has a flap on one side (that is stitched down), and a stripe that peeks out worked in a woven stitch.

It is nice to have a stash of excellent hat yarn that I don't have to work a gauge swatch for anymore. Just find my size US7, 16" circular, and I'm ready to cast on.

Bonny, I thought you might be interested to know that Kim is a mathematician.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice hat and big congratulations to Kim! I took a look at the G'burg math page and was surprised by all the new (to me) names I didn't recognize.

    ReplyDelete