Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Closing out 2019

The last day of the year feels like a good time to tidy up loose ends, so I've spent some time catching up on my Ravelry documentation. One small project I completed in the last days of the month is this trio of hats:

This is the Laurus pattern (free). I started the green and purple one on December 16 in order to have some easy office/social knitting around. I had forgotten how quickly one can complete a hat made of worsted weight yarn - it was done two days later! Not having much time to think about something different, I grabbed two more skeins of worsted yarn from stash and dashed off a Christmas-y red and green version. And when that was done (in two days), I weighed the remainders and cast on another one just like it. I think I have that hat out of my system now. These hats are all going to Kris's Baltimore school project.

I've started another hat as my portable/social project, but it's out of fingering weight yarn so it won't go so quickly. I forgot to photograph it so I'll update you another time.

Also on the needles (since July, oof) is my Sempervirens sweater. It's as a particularly weird point right now, with two larger sections on stitch holders and another being worked. It looks a mess but I'm beavering away!

I started spinning again a few days ago, after letting my cut finger heal for several weeks. I'm glad I finally gave in to taking a break and let my body do what it needed to do. Next month the focus will be on plying in The Sheepspotters' Society, so I need to have some singles spun and ready to ply. I'm not sure if these are the ones I'll use or not, but I wanted to clear out this fiber. Here are some rolags prepped and waiting to be spun over the next day or two:

And on the Flip loom, I have a small towel project - small in that there is only enough warp to make 2 towels (I normally prefer to warp for 3 or 4). This project uses yarns from the Gist Play Box #2 Cotton + Linen. The warp is DK weight cotton or cotton/linen blend, and the weft is a laceweight cotton/linen blend. I never would have thought to weave a kitchen towel out of DK yarn, but it was in the play box, so I'm experimenting. I'm on towel #2 so these will be done before I know it.

I glanced back at my photo file for January of this year, and it seems I began the year finished up my big fleece-to-sweater Humulus project. That was such a thrill. In 2020, I'd like to get busy spinning and using the rest of Tamarind and Muesli's fleeces that are still taking up lots of room in my studio, exploring more stranded colorwork, and weaving more.

Do any of you set fiber intentions for the new year?

1 comment:

  1. I don't set fiber intentions, preferring to let the fiber unravel as it does. Sometimes that works, sometimes not, but I do admire all of your fiber pursuits and intentions!

    ReplyDelete