Friday, August 20, 2021

Four Looks Towels

 

This was a long, slow project, but it well and truly done now that it's finished and photographed! I started warping my Flip loom for the Yarnworker Spring WAL (weaver's choice of any project from the catalog) back in mid-May. I didn't start weaving until late June, and the towels were finally all hemmed on August 1. Then it took a while to get photos. So many steps! Here is my intrepid clothesline pole (the other end is tied to a tree):
I love that I was able to make these entirely from stash. I used Brassard 8/2 cotton in white, vieux bleu Y94, bleu pale Y756, and limette pale Y4269. The warp yarn was doubled in a 10-dent heddle and also doubled in the weft.

I also love that these are clearly a "family," but they aren't matchy-matchy. Stripes in the warp create so many possibilities! 

My finished towels are about 18.75-19" wide. The length varies more (24-25.5") because I sometimes ended a bit early in order to center a stripe pattern. I didn't quite realize that the design had a hem built in, and I added my own which I wove with 16/2 cotton (thinner, to minimize bulk). 

Another thing that isn't perfect about these towels is their shape - they are all a bit trapezoidal! I think this is because I found it very hard to wind this warp evenly. The threads on the left side were always a bit "softer" than the others, and I think this created more length in the finished fabric on one side. I need to think about this and maybe consult Liz. I think you can see that in this photo (despite the slight angle of the clothesline):

Overall, I'm pleased with these towels and especially proud of how good the plaid looks.

The summer WAL is about to start, and we will be weaving warp-faced bands. I've wanted to do this for a while, so I'm excited.


1 comment:

  1. I love the plaids and stripes in these towels and hope they'll bring a smile to your face when you're using them!

    ReplyDelete