Sunday, September 12, 2021

Tricky gloves

I started knitting these fancy Sanquhar gloves back in early May, and I got all the way to the part where you divide for the fingers before setting them aside. At the time, my biggest question was whether to modify the pattern and stagger the finger openings, rather than starting them all on the same row. Life somehow intervened (I've been through two family member hospitalizations since then) and I didn't have the mental bandwidth to look at these. 

When I returned to them and started searching online for pointers, I ran across an online Sanquhar glove knitting class with teacher Beth Brown-Reinsel (video download, not an interactive class). I decided to get it to look for answers. Also, the class comes with a pattern, which I hoped would be easier to understand than the one that came with the kit I got in Scotland:

Beth's class includes all sorts of interesting history and show-and-tell, but it gets started with an earnest look at stitch gauge. She recommends making a swatch - in the round and in pattern - using 3 different needle sizes. Only then does she suggest casting on.

I looked again at what I had knit so far and had to admit that it was too big. Can you see it?


There are a couple of things going on. First, I've already worked way past the point where my fingers begin. And more importantly, the gloves are just way too wide. Look at all the extra fabric along the left side of my hand. When I try to tuck it under, it looks more like this:

Gloves should be snug, not baggy, so these are way too big for me. I worked this on 1.75 mm needles. I'm a loose-ish knitter, though. So I buckled down and ordered some 1.5 mm needles - these are U.S. 000!

If this doesn't work, I may just have to make these for someone with larger hands. The pattern is such that no one ever modifies the basic structure. Each column becomes a finger, so you can't just remove one of those blocky elements. I've been meaning to cast on my NEW gauge swatch with 1.5mm needles for a few weeks now, and today might just be the day it happens.

1 comment:

  1. I hope your new gauge swatch works! Those gloves are really lovely and I hope you are the one that they fit.

    ReplyDelete