Saturday, March 5, 2022

Two more hats

Hats are still happening.

And hats can still be humbling.

I've decided to go for the WoollyDozen challenge again in 2022, so that means a hat design by Woolly Wormhead each month. It seemed to take me FOREVER to knit the Get Garter Beret in January out of light fingering weight yarn, so I wanted to pick something out of bigger yarn this time. 

I chose Mirallat, a sideways knit hat. I've knit all 5 sideways knit hats in the Elemental collection, and I mistakenly assumed this was written for the same gauge. I hastily chose two colors of Silky Wool from stash (Wasabi and Blue Spruce), noted my preferred needle size for this yarn (3.0 mm), and cast on. It begins like this:


I've heard people say that a hat IS a gauge swatch - have you heard that? Maybe hats knit from the brim up can be gauge swatches, but this one can't (at least, not as compared to a human head). Still, I knit on. This is how it looked partway through:

I really should have known that things were rather "off" at this point, but I forged ahead anyway. This is how the hat looked when it was time to do the final sideways graft to close it up:
It's hard to tell how big it really is, though. How about putting another hat on top for scale? This is a lovely hat (Rav link) that fits an adult head:

At this point, I considered ripping it out. But people convinced me that every hat finds its head. This might fit someone with a large head and/or a lot of hair, especially long dreads or braids. Another knitter said her local hospital requests larger hats that fit over bandages without adding pressure. So perhaps there is a head out there somewhere for this hat. I'll let you know if I find one! I went ahead and did the graft and wove in the ends. It's now in the DONE pile:
Cool design, but I should have used fingering weight yarn. I heard from one knitter that this design even came out on the large side in fingering weight, so she removed a few rows. I'll keep that in mind in case I knit it again.

I cranked out another easy hat last month, too. One night, I realized that I needed something knittable for an evening lecture the next day. I wanted something in a larger yarn and a light color, in case the lighting wasn't great (it never is). I chose an old ball of Nashua Handknit Julia in a beautiful shade of light blue ("aqua fog") and cast on so that I could work on the ribbing during the lecture. The rest of the hat was very meeting-friendly to knit, too, so I had it finished pretty quickly. This is the Sea Spray Hat. It has a little slouch if you don't cuff the brim:

...and it fits closely like a watch cap if you fold the brim:
Boy 2, who is home for spring break, immediately commented on this hat. It reminded me that he requested "a light blue hat with a pom" when he was 5. He doesn't want a pom pom, but he still loves light blue - and it looks very handsome on him.
According to Ravelry, I bought this Julia yarn at 40% off when The Mannings closed in 2015. It is a delicious blend of 50% Wool, 25% Alpaca, and 25% Mohair. I wish they hadn't discontinued this yarn, because it's lovely. It makes great hats!

1 comment:

  1. I've always thought of hats as easy and even as swatches, but that is clearly not always the case with WW hats. They can be humbling! Love both light blue hats!

    ReplyDelete