Friday, July 31, 2009

BSJ for Baby Alice

This is going to be my first Baby Surprise Jacket.  The yarn is Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Worsted in color Lakeview (superwash merino, so it’s machine-washable).  I’m using worsted weight yarn because this baby has parents who are both over 6 feet tall, and the baby was born in early July.  I want Baby Alice to be able to wear it this fall/winter, so I’m going big.

This pattern does not come with multiple sizes (except for child and adult versions).  The only way to resize it is to use different yarn/needles.

The mother and I scanned project photos in Ravelry so I could get a sense of what she liked.  She was very drawn to the handpainted yarns, especially the versions made in Socks That Rock.  I finally decided that I needed thicker yarn, though, and the Blue Moon yarns in heavier weights are kind of spendy.  I wasn’t sure if I could get by with a single skein, and doubling the project cost just went too high. 

I think this Lakeview yarn will make a beautiful BSJ.  So far I like the yarn too much in hank and ball form to actually knit it – it’s too pretty!

1 comment:

  1. Of course I LOVE this yarn. This looks like it will be fabulous. Have fun knitting it.

    ReplyDelete