Friday, February 5, 2010

A snowy white day, a dreamy green sock

snowyday2-5-10 It started snowing around lunchtime today and continued gently all day.  It’s supposed to come down a lot tonight, and tomorrow we should have 10+ inches.  Hooray!  I clicked these on my walk home from the dentist.

In knitting news, the latest sock is Hedgerow Socks, by Jane Cochran (link to free pattern).  These have been in my queue for a while, and I even started them once, but didn’t think they made good office knitting.  They still aren’t the easiest office knitting I’ve ever done.  This surprises me.  The stitch pattern looks so easy.  It’s just:

Rnd 1-2: *K2 P1 K1 P2*
Rnd 3-4: *K1 P1 K2 P2*

But it can be difficult to see which round you’re on.  I haven’t had to rip back yet (knock on wood).  I also feel like I’m improving my ability to read my knitting.  So that’s all good.

I’m using the one skein of yarn I purchased at MDSW09, this lovely:

Spinnery Sock Art in Meadow

It’s from Green Mountain Spinnery in Vermont, a 2-ply 50/50 wool/mohair.  It’s the sock yarn I aspire to spin, fine, springy, beautiful.  And I adore the color, a dreamy undulation of greens that run the range from bluish-green to moss green:IMG_5432 I also like that I’m using a New England pattern on a New England yarn.  Here is how they looked a couple of days ago:IMG_5430Now this has a heel on it.

I still haven’t make the Deck the Ball with the Starry yarn, but I promise I’ll do it this weekend (Kristina).  After all, we’ll be snowed in!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful snowy pictures -- and a beautiful sock! I'm jealous all the way around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hedgerow socks have been my "carrying around" knitting since October! I'm almost done with sock#1, and I'm finally at the point where I can tell where I'm at in the pattern repeat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That yarn is just beautiful! I had fantasies of knitting all day long, but shoveling has interrupted my dream...both yesterday and today!

    You probably know this tip (in fact, I may have learned it from you) for difficult patterns that will likely need to be ripped out: every couple of inches weave some dental floss through -- that way you'll know exactly how much you'll need to rip and it is easier to get everything back onto the needles.

    ReplyDelete