Sunday, November 21, 2010

Progress report

I haven’t posted lately, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been knitting.  Home life is a little hectic due to kitchen renovations and the impending holiday, but knitting always goes on.

I finished a super basic, plain vanilla pair of socks for Boy 1.  These were done mostly at work out of a Regia self-patterning yarn that has been in my stash FOREVER.  He loves them!  He’s been wearing them to bed every night since they were completed, and today he wore them all day.  Mama can’t argue with that.IMG_7699 When I last bemoaned the state of my Tangled Garden socks (the pink and green ones for Pam), I mused about possible skill-building projects to do before returning to those socks.  I started one: a stranded colorwork felted bag made from leftover scrap/stash yarn.  I was inspired by this bag:IMG_7704 This is an OLD issue of Spin-Off from before I was a subscriber – it came my way from someone whose husband brought it home from an auction (with some other stuff, I think).  This bag is cast on at the bottom (168 stitches) and worked up in the round as a straight tube until the handles are shaped.  Then stitches are picked up again at the cast-on edge and worked inward to create the bottom.  I decided that 168 was a great number, being divisible by 12, 8, 6, and 4, so I cast on 168.  I gathered all my feltable stash yarn in one place…IMG_7703 …grabbed my copy of Color by Kristin (which has a colorwork dictionary in the back with patterns organized by number of stitches/repeat), and went for it:IMG_7702 My two-handed knitting IS improving, and these color patterns are kind of fun.  I like how quickly they move on a 10.5 needle (of course, I’m knitting loosely because this will be felted).  I like using stash yarn.  I like how unplanned this is.  It works for me right now.

I also decided to knit those adorable Pile-able Pups that I saw at Cloverhill Yarn Shop a few weeks ago.  These will be a Christmas gift for my niece Allie, who is three-and-a-half.  I ordered some WotA (Wool of the Andes) from Knit Picks and have started the first pup.  IMG_7701 It hasn’t escaped me that I will be able to use any puppy leftovers in the stashy bag!

I have another pair of plain vanilla socks on the needles for office knitting, but I don’t even have a photo of them right now.  Another day.

2 comments:

  1. The bag is looking great. I love that the patterns in that book are organized by stitch repeats -- muy clever. And the pile-able pups are the cutest.

    My pups are only pilable when Kate's in the mood. She's usually not.

    ReplyDelete