Tuesday, May 31, 2011

WIP WIP WIP

I’ve got several things on the needles at the moment, receiving various levels of attention from me.

First, remember the knee socks I started?  They have progressed a tiny bit… but not much.  Here is how they look right now:IMG_8982 I’m sure if I could just be diligent enough to get past the 38-round colorwork section, they would move much faster.  I would transfer them to 2 circs, for sure!  I really don’t care for working socks on dpns.

Next, I started a BSJ for a coworker who is due in August.  She decided not to find out the baby’s sex, though, and these are girly colors.  So I may have to knit a boy-something, too!  This is Felici sportweight in color “Neopolitan”IMG_8981 And finally, I’ve begun a new sock.  It’s not the sock I meant to start, though.  I had a weird wave of guilt for not having used all the sock yarn I bought at Sock Summit 2009 and resolved to knit another skein.  I picked this yarn (Briar Rose Fibers Grace), and I found Anne Hanson’s Keukenhof pattern (I purchased them both at the Briar Rose Fibers booth and they were meant to go together).  I wound up the yarn but couldn’t get excited about the pattern. 

So I went looking through my box of random stuff in the studio (I know you have one, too) and came up with the Swirls pattern.  It said to cast on 70 stitches.  I was skeptical.  But I proceeded anyway.  Sure enough, 70 is too many.  I ripped.  Then I rewrote the pattern for 64 stitches and began again.  I didn’t love it.  I ripped.  Then I got out some books to look for inspiration, and I ran across this lovely:zknittedsocks97999j.jpg

I got this for Christmas (I think) a couple years ago.  Maybe from Steven?  I drooled over it but never made anything.  Armed with post-its, I went through it again, and marked many beautiful patterns.  I decided that Tsunami would be about right, fairly simple but not too boring.  You can’t see it very well in this photo, but this is one of the pictures from the book:tsunami-01.jpg

And at the last moment, I decided that the yarn I had wound wasn’t perfect for this pattern, so I grabbed something entirely different – some solid purple Cherry Tree Hill yarn I’ve had in stash forever (from a long ago SSYC sale).  I’ve turned the heel on sock #1 and this is how it looks today:IMG_8984I love how the cable is so loose and gentle - just a ripple in the fabric - and how the cable is framed by the reverse stockinette diamonds.

What are you knitting right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment