Sunday, February 12, 2012

Beachy Felici 2nd ed

This pair of socks has been sitting on the piano for a couple of weeks, waiting patiently to be photographed:IMG_0735Those of you who have seen my piano know how it is possible to lose sight of things up there.  My kids probably think “piano” is synonymous for “yarn table.”

Anyway, I knit this pair fairly quickly and mostly during meetings at work – a plain vanilla stickinette sock on Felici Sport goes fast.  The colorway is “Seaside” and I followed my formula for the Ecology Socks almost exactly.IMG_0732What was different?  Two things:

  1. I made the leg a bit longer, mostly because I wanted the heel to emerge from a dark brown stripe rather than the oatmeal-y lighter stripe that preceded it.
  2. I knit a more rounded toe than before.  This is my current favorite toe.  I decrease every other round until I have 28 stitches left, and then I decrease every round until there are 8 left.  Then I do a hat-style closure (twice).  But I do the regular wedge style toe for the heel.

IMG_0731 For stockinette socks in fingering weight yarn, I cast on 64 stitches on 2.0 mm needles.  For this sportweight yarn, I cast on only 52 stitches and use 2.5 mm needles.  They really fly.IMG_0734These will go directly into the sock box and I predict that they’ll be in the dirty sock pile by the end of the week!

I just geeked out a little in Ravelry and counted up my Felici projects to date – this is my 14th one.  I do love Felici!

3 comments: