Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Sweet

I finished my Honey Cowl last week, using Great White Bale Lot 3: The Kraemer Experiment:honey 1 This morning it was 48F when I left the house, so out came the cowl. I wore it all day and was made very happy by its soft warmth. The honeycomb pattern is perfect for trapping little pockets of warm air.honey 2 Even S1 liked this cowl, though she professes not to want anything around her neck except for a plain and traditional scarf. She tried this on and said “…yes!” So she grabbed some school bus yellow yarn from my stash and I cast on. You can see that these yarns are quite a bit different in construction and fiber content:

cowl yarns

I decided to go with the same needle size (US 7, 4.5 mm) even though that seems awfully big for fingering yarn. It worked well with Honey Cowl #1, so why mess with success?

Except… I am messing with it. I wasn’t entirely pleased with the beginning-and-end of round, which reads as a seam (but isn’t – this is knit in the round). See?IMG_2378I’m altering the pattern to be knit over an odd number of stitches rather than even, hoping that will make the join less apparent. Stay tuned for results.

I can see why Honey Cowl has been knit over 12,000 times. Yes, it’s simple – but often simple patterns show off special yarn the best. And the result is so very wearable. This is a WIN!

3 comments:

  1. Excellent use of your GWB! I'm anxiously awaiting the results of your no-seam odd-number cast-on. I love this cowl but have resisted so far because of the "seam" and I'm not fond of rolling edges. Twisted rib looks like it might cure the rolling, so after I see S1's "non-seam" I may have to cast one on myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first pic of you should become your new head shot. It turned out remarkably well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with S1. I favorited it over at Flickr. This almost looks manly enough for me to get away with it. My office gets so chilly in the wintertime.

    ReplyDelete