Sunday, September 14, 2014

Loose ends

As I tend to do every year, I’ve felt very scattered at the beginning of this school year. There are so many activities and commitments. I’ve been knitting and spinning, but in fits and starts. Here are a few things to catch you up on.IMG_4393First, I finished spinning the leftover bobbin of the yarn I showed you last time. I got about 40 yards more (this weighs 19g), which means I have a total of 235 yards of this yarn. That’ll be good for something nice!

IMG_4384

Next, here is a quick kid hat I made to donate as part of my Knitters’ Day Out 2014 registration fee. I followed the same general pattern as last year, but added a pom pom this time. I used bits of yarn leftover from the big Blanket of Love project.

So yes, it’s time for Knitters’ Day Out once again! This event has become a cherished tradition among my local knitting peeps. I have finished my homework and packed it away so it’s ready for an early morning departure next Saturday. Here is “Still Life with Hat and Homework”:IMG_4391The long skinny piece worked from multicolored yarn is for a class with Margaret Radcliffe called Introducing the Ouroboros Moebius:

This class is an easy new approach to the seamless knitted moebius. No particular cast on, advanced techniques, or special needles are required to make this versatile moebius scarf--you don't even need to know how to purl! You will make a small sample moebius in class to learn this simplified approach. We will discuss and experiment with options for color, texture, and joining that allow for infinite variations, and  learn how to apply the same approach to constructing other garments.

The other small bits worked in yellow, red, and green for for a class with Lily Chin called Tips, Trick and, Hints:

Learn all the little secrets to make knitting life easier and better. Find out how to cast on in 2-tail method without running out of the second tail. Join a new skein of yarn or a new color without losing that first stitch. See ways of attaching buttons as you work. Create invisible circular bind offs on a neck where the beginning and end are absolutely imperceptible. Weave in those little ends that are too short to put through a darning needle. Take away lots of small "fix-its" and improve those details.

I’ll report back about what I learn!

5 comments:

  1. I, too, am using leftover yarn for my Knitters Day Out contribution. It is the jingle bell baby hat and I'm using yarn from the Baby Link (of Zelda fame) costume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Ouroboros Mobius is new to me but sounds quite interesting. I'm off to hunt down the pattern and see if I can figure it out. Have fun and I'll look forward to reading about what you learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't see the Ouroboros Mobius pattern in Ravelry. Maybe we will get it in class? I'll ask if it's more widely available!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like it was published in the Dec. 2013 issue of Knit 'n Style magazine http://tinyurl.com/nlyyayy but it would be wonderful if it was available in Ravelry. Can't wait to hear about KDO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hat looks great! Boy 2 makes an excellent model. I'm jealous of your annual jaunt to Knitters Day Out. And have I ever told you how Lily Chin scares me? Her energy is kind of intense...

    ReplyDelete