Sunday, December 1, 2019

Clasped Weft

When I heard that the Fall 2019 Yarnworker Weave-Along was going to focus on variegated warps, I perked up. I have some variegated sock yarns in my stash and I was intrigued. Liz designed three small scarves that utilize variegated warp in different ways, but I was laser focused on the clasped warp because it is so dramatic. I checked wraps per inch and sett in order to get to know this yarn a little better:

This is a 100% merino yarn that I logged in my Ravelry stash in 2007, which is when my account was brand new. That means this was VERY early sock yarn stash, acquired before I learned that 100% merino sock yarn wasn't a great idea. It's been marinating every since.

A clasped warp is when you use a different thread on either end of a warp. The threads are doubled, and they loop together somewhere in the middle (this is the clasp). The weaver positions the clasps in an artful way and the result can look like zig zags or drips. This pattern called for a variegated yarn to be clasped with a solid yarn, so I entertained a couple of options:

I went with the navy blue. But once I started warping, I realized I didn't have quite enough. So I finished out the warp with a brown that had the same value as the blue. It creates a color block effect in the final product.

Here's a close up of the clasps in the warp:


I put this warp on my Cricket loom, and this time I tried leaving it on the stand. Using my heavy Shakespeare book was just what I needed to keep it from moving during the process. So glad I saved that book from college - it comes in handy in a surprising range of situations:

You can't really see the clasps from this angle, but they are there. Here is how they look approaching me during the weaving process:
Liz recommended using a weft that is finer than the warp in order to emphasize the warp, so I chose this laceweight green yarn. I took care not to beat it too close so that the fabric would be drapey:

I chose to use a traditional twisted fringe on this scarf. Again, Shakespeare comes in handy!

The finished scarf is 6" wide and 70" long (plus about 3" of fringe on each end). It's hard to photograph a scarf, but I think you can get an idea of each distinct end and the transition in the middle here:

I'm not sure whose scarf this is yet. I just made it to learn something, not with a specific recipient in mind. For now, I've tossed it into my Christmas gift box. Maybe someone on my shopping list will get it.

I think this technique would be great for a scarf in school colors. I'll have to keep that idea in mind for a future project.

If you're intrigued by this construction, google "clasped warp" and limit to images. It's so interesting to see how different weavers position the clasps. What fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment