Friday, December 6, 2019

Hoot for whom?


This is a fun little project I completed over the lovely Thanksgiving break, when I had lots of time to knit. I've been meaning to make something for a secret someone for a long time, and I started to make her a pair of socks out of this yarn. I bought this skein at MDSW way back in 2010. It's from the Misty Mountain Farm booth, which is a great stop for spinners. It just caught my eye. The color is "Arrowroot" and it's a lovely semi-solid that's sort of green and sort of straw-colored. I knit about half of a sock out of it and then got cold feet - I just wasn't confident that I could fit her well and I can't fit her.

I thought a pair of fingerless mitts would be more flexible in terms of fit, so I dove into Ravelry and found the Owl in the Thicket Mitts pattern. I knew the owl would show up well on this yarn, and I love the little beady eyes. Can you see them?

The pattern cleverly makes use of a couple garter ridges to show the ruffled texture of the owl's chest. I just love this pattern. The back is completely ribbed so it is very flexible in terms of hand size (I forgot to take a photo of the back).

The pair weighs about 48 grams and I have about 53 grams of yarn remaining. I might make a pair for myself.

Placing the beads on the knitting couldn't be easier. I used the "superfloss technique" as described by Laura Nelkin in this video. I already had a container of superfloss from some beading class I took years ago, and I keep it with my small bead stash. 

I decided not to work any twisted knit stitches, in order to have a more flexible fabric. It was easier to work, too. I think it still looks great.

Now I have to plot how to sneak this under someone's Christmas tree without her knowing!

1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful! I've seen other owl mitt patterns, but the one you used is so much nicer with lots of details. Lucky recipient!

    ReplyDelete