Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Socks - the PB&J of my knitting life

Lately I haven't been able to engage much bandwidth for knitting. I've been knitting... just nothing complicated or challenging. It's the equivalent of making a PB&J every day instead of cooking. PB&Js are great - I love 'em! - but they aren't challenging or exciting. I'm in a PB&J phase of knitting, I guess.


Back when I was consulting with my favorite new parents down the street about Isaac's adorable old man sweater, they wanted to see some of my other knitting. (We were screen sharing Ravelry in Zoom; show-and-tell was easy.) During this little exploration, I learned that Rachel was drawn to green socks. I have SO MANY skeins of green sock yarn in stash, and she gravitated toward one that is kind of dark and moody. This is Cascade Heritage Hand Painted in color 9824 Forest:


This yarn has been marinating in stash for 10 years! I got it (for free, with prize money) at Knitters' Day Out in 2010. Wow! I still love it, and I think it knit up beautifully. I used a simple rib pattern:

  • Rnd 1: *K3 P3*
  • Rnd 2: *K1 P1*

There are many shades of green in the skein, and also a bit of brown. You can really see all the colors on the stockinette sole.


This was a quick, easy knit. I started it on a trip in late October and finished up yesterday. It felt so comfortingly familiar to crank out a sock. I've knit so many over the years, but few lately, because all the drawers in this house are full of handknit socks. It was music to my ears to hear that Rachel wanted a pair. Now this skein is out of stash, except for a little ball of leftover yarn that may go into another sock yarn blanket someday.



3 comments:

  1. I often make a pb&j when I want something delicious and comforting, and it sounds like sock knitting serves that purpose for you. Those socks may not have been challenging or exciting but they sure are beautiful and I bet Rachel appreciates them beyond measure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour,
    Comment s'appelle la laine et le n° du coloris,svp ?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cascade Heritage Hand Painted sock yarn in color 9824 Forest

      Delete