Saturday, June 19, 2021

Crochet curious

I learned to knit because I love the aesthetic of knitted fabric. Crochet never attracted me in my early knitting years. But over the past few years, I've seen some crochet projects that make me say "HMMMM, maybe I'd like to make that." I guess you could say I'm crochet-curious. 

Recently I was poking around the Creativebug learning platform (I have a free trial) and noticed that they have some classes called "daily practice." They are skill building classes, and there is one for crochet. The instructor teaches you one stitch per day, and you make lots of little 4" squares. I thought it was worth a try. And here is the result!

This piece is more rectangular than it looks here.. the breeze picked up just as I took the shot. I used yarn that may look familiar, as I purchased it to weave this ruana and then used leftovers to make these felted coasters.

I have really and truly used up the yarn now, though - all I have left is 22 grams in tiny little balls!

Here is a legend that has all the stitch names on it:

The instructor used Red Heart Super Saver for the project, but because I used 100% wool (Brown Sheep Prairie Spun DK), I blocked my squares. It really helped.

I connected all the squares with single crochet, which creates a windowpane effect. 

This is a nifty little wall hanging that will add some different vibes to our studio at home. I'm glad I made it! 

Take a look at the Stained Glass Wonder Blanket and tell me if it doesn't make you just a bit crochet-curious, too! I am also partial to all the mandala patterns that seem to abound in crochet.

1 comment:

  1. As a knitter, spinner, and weaver, I always think of you as "multi-craftual", but that's really true with your crochet curiosity. Those 4" squares are an interesting way to practice, and they look especially nice as a wall hanging. And yes, the stained glass wonder blanket makes me very crochet-curious!

    ReplyDelete