Thursday, June 10, 2021

Taking it slow

I've been working on various fiber-y pursuits, but they all seem to be progressing quite slowly. Here are a couple of updates involving handspun yarn.

First, I took Sasha Torres's Blending Board class at the end of May. Her technique is completely different than Heavenly Bresser's (and faster, too). I decided to play with some shades of green. This is another "split complementary" - the greens and yellow and yellow-greens are analogous, and the red-purple is the complementary:


Most of that fiber is wool, but the bag contains silk. I made two blending boards full of these delicious rolags!
Sasha says they look like Kermit the Frog, in wool form, and I agree. I spun these on my Ladybug and made a 2-ply yarn. I think it's awfully nice.

The singles are perhaps spun a little too tightly, so that's something I need to work on. Still, this is very soft and will be great in a scarf or cowl or hat.

Speaking of hats, the handspun Katara hat I started last month is slowly growing. The brown yarn is BFL, and the white is Rambouillet. I've completed 5 repeats (plus a little) out of 8 total. It's looking good!

At first this color combination seemed really muted to me, but I'm appreciating the natural colors as I work with them.


1 comment:

  1. The Kermit yarn is really lovely and so are those rolags. I see some waving seaweed in that very nice natural hat.

    ReplyDelete