Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Bird Post (aka My Kind of Tweet)

Boy 1 made this birdhouse at Strawberry Hill Nature Preserve Junior Naturalist Camp last summer. I took it down for the winter and rehung it this spring, mostly for cheerful backyard color. But … a little bird (a wren?) actually made a nest in it! Listen carefully – can you hear the baby birds chirping? They only chirp at the beginning of this clip, before their loud mama tells them to shut up because danger lurks nearby (danger = me):


Now listen to the mother bird. She is squawking at me and drawing me further away from the nest…


And look what Boy 1 (aka Junior Naturalist) brought home from camp this week: Owl Pellet Bingo! The kids dissected owl pellets (don’t worry, they were sanitized by wrapping in aluminum foil and baking in the oven) and matched the bones to the chart. His owl enjoyed a tasty shrew. Mmmmm.IMG_3934

Perhaps tomorrow we will return to our regularly scheduled programming. I’m off to begin my Sock Summit homework.

1 comment:

  1. How exciting to have these little ones in your back yard! I'm sure the boys are loving it. And while I've never played, Owl Pellet Bingo sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete