Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sock yarn … ?

Here is what my 50/50 BFL/mohair from Bedford looked like as singles in three bobbins:IMG_7128

And here it is all plied up:IMG_7138 Total yardage is 308 yards and it weighs 4.1 oz (116 grams).

IMG_7147

Is it sock yarn?  Ummmm….. maybe sport weight sock yarn. 

Most sock yarn comes in 100 g put-ups.  If I express the yardage I got in terms of yards per 100 g, I got 266.

Compare to Felici fingering sock yarn at 436 yards/100 g, or Felici sport sock yarn at 328 yards/100 g.  Not so close.

BUT….  I think mohair might be heavier than wool.  I couldn’t verify this quickly in either of the Clara Parkes books on my shelf, though, so I’m just not sure.

Hmmm.  I’ll just have to keep spinning to figure this out.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's beautiful, no matter what the weight and you should darn well make some socks out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Steven...that yarn is quite lovely!

    ReplyDelete